About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to the work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
Context of the role
The ECF International Forum for Energy (IFE) seeks to appoint a Programme Manager SEEA to oversee operations, funder and grantee relations, and programme delivery. The Programme Manager will report to the Regional Director for South East and East Asia (Regional Director, SEEA) in Singapore with a dotted line reporting to Director of IFE in the Hague.
The goal of IFE is to support the work of the organisation in developing strategies to secure clean energy around the world in the interests of healthy citizens and a healthy climate. The programme looks for strong, effective and inspiring plans to address the barriers to the transition in the energy sector.
Due to the continued growth and diversification of funders, grantees and the programme strategy we have reached a point where we need to increase the team to ensure we continue to deliver. Given the size of the programme we seek a candidate who can hit the ground running and extremely capable in the SEEA region.
The Programme Manager SEEA will be responsible for:
Programme management (40% of the time)
- Provide guidance and advice to grantees, partners and prospective partners in the field to ensure activities achieve their intended objectives and results.
- Keep the IFE team informed of the progress including identify any emerging risks or issues that may impact grantee/ partners’ performance.
- Monitor deliverables and submissions from grantees/ partners and provide general oversight to their timeliness and quality, and advice the Regional Director of SEEA of any corrective actions necessary, as and when needed.
- Perform other related responsibilities including but not limited to supporting the IFE team in preparing action memoranda and reports, expenditure and grants forecasting, responding to audits, evaluations requests and other related activities.
Support effective operations and financial management (20% of the time)
- Provide input to the Senior Ops Associate at HQ in The Hague on financial planning, systems and controls to ensure effective and timely delivery and reporting on a large programme budget.
- Support the communication with grantees on programme planning, and financial procedures where relevant and ensure the timely delivery of grantee proposals and reports.
- Help to set-up and arrange new office arrangements and locations in South East Asia, flexibly and within resource constraints.
Convening, research and networking (20% of the time)
- Liaising with partners and team members toplan and deliver international events, meetings and webinars.
- Undertake quick research and data collation to produce presentations on various themes and geographies.
- Undertake continuous policy and trends tracking in the region and produce short reports as needed.
Managing transition to the region and changes related to localization of programme (20% of the time)
- Manage the day to day activities related to the transition of IFE to the SEEA region.
- Conduct timely and robust resource analysis, planning and implementation related to transition.
- Coordinate closely with the relevant ECF divisions to ensure procedures and ways of working remain fit for purpose.
Perform such tasks and responsibilities as may be required from time to time in order to ensure the smooth running of the International Forum for Energy.
Experience and competencies
- At least 7 years of professional experience in project/ programme/ operations management, working with global partners in challenging contexts;
- Knowledge of the renewable energy industry and climate policy landscape in the region with interest in sustainable finance will be a major advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and convene events with regional and international participants;
- An understanding of and interest in the philanthropy sector and experience in working with international NGOs is desirable;
- Superior written and verbal English skills (Essential);
- Excellent strategic thinking, organisational, negotiation and time management skills, with a proven ability to work well under pressure, take initiative and be a creative problem-solver;
- Ability to work well in a team but also to work independently and be managed at a distance;
- Experience working in an international team environment;
- Strong administrative and computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), experience with Apple Mac is an asset;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Enthusiastic personality and sense of humour;
- Demonstrated interest in the mission and values of the European Climate Foundation;
- Flexibility over working hours;
- Impeccable ethics, working confidentially and operating with high security.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international team who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- Duration: One year
- Compensation: Competitive
South East Asia (flexible)
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to the following email address:
Please, indicate ´Programme Manager SEEA´ in the Subject line. Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.