About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to the work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
Context of the role
The ECF French Programme works with a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks and academia to support positive action on climate and energy in France. We work to build political will for climate action and to develop solutions to policy and practical challenges in the power, buildings, transport, industry and finance sectors.
This job offers an excellent opportunity to engage with and support a major ECF programme at an important stage in the development of the climate and energy debate in France and Europe. The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advices, dealing with grant management, monitoring and evaluation of the progresses of the different work streams. There will be direct engagement with other ECF programmes, partners and funders in developing and aligning strategies.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Strategy: supporting the Director in setting the programme’s strategy, priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners;
- Grant making: developing the scope of work for ECF projects; soliciting and validating proposals from potential French grantees and commissioning studies from consultants; drafting selection recommendations for board/donors’ consideration;
- Project management: managing and monitoring the budget as well as deliverables conducted by a set of grantees and external consultancies by maintaining frequent communication, providing strategic direction and ensuring accountability; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report progress to donors;
- Research activities & prospect: scoping of the landscape around climate local and national politics and advocacy, as well as potential new projects & grantees;
- Internal coordination: liaising with sectoral programmes active in France, other country programmes and operations team; liaising with communications team based in Paris to ensure dissemination of information, consistency and complementarity of the project etc.
- Networking: building partnerships with key stakeholders across the policymaking, business and civil society communities in France and Europe; convening meetings; representing the programme at meetings and organize follow-up.
She/he will report to the Director of the French programme.
Experience and competencies
We are looking for 5-8 years experienced candidates with a strong record within climate community. Important skills and mind-set include:
- Hold a degree in a field of relevance to climate policy (political science, economy, environment…);
- 5-8 years experience in either a public authority, an organization of the civil society or a company related to climate and energy issues;
- Deep understanding of climate change & energy policies, as well as political challenges and excellent knowledge of the French public institutions and the political decision making-process;
- Strong network in the climate community in France (NGOs, government, Unions…);
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organization;
- Excellent command of the French and English languages (both spoken and written);
- Very strong verbal, written and presentation skills;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude;
- Strong networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Strategic agile leader, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation plans;
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time, 3-years contract with the possibility to be extended.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to the following email address:
Please, indicate ´Senior Associate, French Programme´ in the Subject line. Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
The application deadline is Wednesday 20/02/2019.