A full time opportunity in a dynamic team with the chance to work on an era-defining environmental challenge. We are looking for a regional coordinator to help develop winning grantmaking, technical assistance and policy advocacy strategies to transition electricity systems in Southeast and East Asia to clean energy. The regional coordinator will be responsible for managing a grantmaking portfolio across multiple countries in the region, convening partners, commissioning technical studies and engaging with donors and governments to determine the most effective strategies to deliver renewable energy at scale.
The successful candidate will have a strong knowledge of energy systems and civil society in the region, and will have demonstrated experience interacting with senior policy and decision-makers in industry, government and the financial sector.
Decarbonising energy systems is a prerequisite for winning the fight against climate change. Fortunately, clean energy is no longer a mere niche-player, but an economic alternative to fossil fuels. And, the transformation of energy systems is gaining momentum around the world. However, while more and more countries deploy renewable technologies, systemic challenges for power systems require greater attention: Expansion and enhancement of grid infrastructure, reform of regulatory frameworks and market structures, and the necessity to raise the necessary finance are fundamental challenges for governments and market participants all over the world.
To support this transition process in Southeast & East Asia the International Forum for Energy -hosted by the European Climate Foundation – is exploring the case to help strengthen the policy and regulatory environment for clean energy; grow the community of experts and leaders in the field, support thought leadership, knowledge generation and technology exchange.
To achieve this, we seek a: Regional energy coordinator in Southeast & East Asia
In the initial stage the coordinator or consultant would focus on supporting partners in Vietnam and Indonesia develop strategies to drive the transition to renewable energy, focusing on policy, regulatory and finance interventions. Activities in Japan, the Philippines and other countries will likely follow suit.
- Strategy Development: through strong collaboration with partner organisations, develop national grantmaking strategies that drive the clean energy transition in Southeast and East Asia through interventions at the policy level, finance level, and through provision of technical assistance.
- Grantmaking: identify partners, work with potential grantees to develop proposals and help to monitor and evaluate the work of grantees. Preparing funding recommendations for the Board.
- Networking: convene meetings and strategy discussions and ensure that partner organisations are able to access support from an international network of clean energy experts.
- Information sharing: facilitating information exchange and peer to peer learning between and across SEEA countries.
- At least 5, ideally 10, years of relevant work experience, preferably in the region
- Demonstrated experience interacting with senior policy and decision-makers in industry, government and the financial sector
- Politically savvy and excellent strategic capabilities
- A grasp of energy policy and energy system transformation
- Willingness to travel frequently and internationally
- Intrinsic motivation, excellent organisational and self-management skills
- Fluent English language skills; other (regional) languages are an asset
We offer the opportunity to contribute to one of today’s key global challenges, to work in a highly professional team and to connect to a global network.
- Duration: One-year consultancy contract with potential for renewal
- Location: Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines. Other locations in Southeast Asia considered
- Start date: As soon as practicable
- Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in working with us, please submit a cover letter and resume to email address: Apply-RegEnergyCoordinatorAsiaIFE@Europeanclimate.org
Please, indicate ´Recruitment – SEEA coordinator´ in the Subject line. Telephone calls will not be forwarded to the recruitment team. Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications will be treated confidentially.
The European Climate Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Deadline for applications: 1 March 2018