About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal.
The ECF team is a highly dynamic group of individuals, combining ambition and passion with a rigorous, results-oriented and analytic approach to the work. The ECF’s culture is one of intensity, enthusiasm and mutual support.
Context of the role
The ECF’s Strategic Communications Team is currently accepting applications for an experienced and highly driven individual to perform the role of Strategic Communications Associate, UK.
Working as part of an international team of expert political communicators, the successful candidate will act as a centre of expertise for communication on climate change in the UK to help advance political, media and public endorsement for action at international, national and sectoral level.
Working closely with a Strategic Communications Senior Associate, he/she will build and maintain key relationships with a diverse range of partners and allies, journalists and influencers; pitch creative climate related stories in major mainstream and online media outlets; design and implement communications strategies to get climate messaging across to key audiences; and liaise with the network on important global moments.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications professional with a sincere interest in climate and energy issues and the ambition to make a difference, to play an active role in helping speed up the low carbon transition internationally, nationally and at the European level.
- Furthering narratives that promote climate action and a swift transition to a low-carbon economy in the UK and internationally
- Tracking traditional and social media debates around priority issues and developing communications strategies to contribute to these debates
- Developing communications plans around major domestic and international events
- Pitching international media stories and reports on climate change and the low-carbon transition to UK media, making them domestically relevant and attractive
- Promoting the voices of international experts and opinion-makers among UK media and leveraging the impact of progressive UK voices internationally
- Acting as a source of intelligence and taking the lead on stories for the international team
- Collaborating closely with the UK Programme Communications Manager to ensure national and international communications campaigns reinforce each other
- Providing communication services and advice to the wider UK climate community
- Developing and maintaining trusted relationships with key correspondents and editors across mainstream and specialist media in the UK
- Building and leveraging structures to react quickly to emerging stories and opportunities
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting (including some financial and administrative tasks)
Skills and experience
- A genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation
- Proven skills to produce engaging and impactful communications materials for the UK media market
- 3+ years of professional communications experience, including some experience in media relations and political campaigning
- A strong understanding of the processes and dynamics of British and international policy-making
- A strategic thinker with proven ability to independently develop and implement robust communications plans
- Strong networking skills among a diverse range of partners
- Existing relationships with UK journalists or demonstrating the ability to build these swiftly
- Vision, confidence and service orientation, as well as a proven ability to bring others along on collective strategies
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a remote team
- Excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written)
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with ambition and a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself
- A part-time position for 60% with a 12-months fixed term contract (with possibility to extend)
London, UK – some travel required (national and international)
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to the following email address:
Please, indicate ´Recruitment – Strategic Communications Associate, UK´ in the Subject line. Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable. All applications will be treated confidentially.