Frequently Asked Questions
Below we have gathered our most frequently asked questions. We hope you will find what you’re looking for. If not, you can always contact us.
Where does the ECF’s funding come from?
The ECF greatly appreciates the funding that supports our work and contributes to effective progress on the route toward a net-zero society. See who our funders are here.
What kinds of activities and organisations does the ECF support?
The European Climate Foundation is dedicated to responding to the global climate crisis by creating a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions society. We harness the power of effective philanthropy to support the climate community in shaping public debate and forging bold solutions. Together with over 800 partner organisations, we are at the forefront of a global movement to ensure a liveable planet for future generations.
What kinds of activities and organisations does the ECF not support?
- We do not consider applications for activities outside the scope of EU climate strategy and, more specifically, our own areas of activity. Likewise, we do not support local projects unless they have been consciously designed for replication or have broad European regional or national implications.
- We do not make grants intended to support a particular political party or sectarian or religious purposes.
- We do not fund the research and development of technology (e.g., funds to develop hybrid automobiles or to commercialise an invention), demonstration projects (e.g., model solar homes), or community energy projects.
- We do not fund endowments or debt reduction, nor do we make general support grants.
- We do not support annual fundraising campaigns or capital construction, nor do we support the planning, renovation, maintenance, retrofit or purchase of buildings, or the acquisition of land, even if the intent is to save energy.
How does the ECF decide its funding priorities?
We define priorities at initiative level, based on two dimensions: the strategic importance of the initiative, and the ECF’s and our partners’ ability to make a difference through this initiative.
How do you know if your grants are making a difference?
The ECF uses an integrated planning, monitoring and grant management system, which allows performance evaluation on an ongoing basis.
How do I apply for a grant from the ECF?
While we don’t accept unsolicited proposals, the ECF welcomes opportunities to enlarge its network. After reading what the ECF does and does not support, if you still think that your organisation fits into the ECF’s strategy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that we will review your submission by invitation only.